Every competition entry will receive free feedback, brief and constructive, appropriate to the brevity of the remit.
HERE'S WHAT TO DO:
1. No payment necessary
2. Send your story to this email address
modern artbypost @ gmail.com
(remove the spaces)
3. Please put your name (or pen name) in the subject field on your email.
4. Find a painting which is for SALE on this site; use it as a writing trigger; submit a 75 word (max) piece of fiction, with a title.
5. At the end of your submission, write the title of the chosen painting and a second choice (in case your choice of painting is sold before the prize is awarded).
6. Add your email address, real name and full postal address. Please add line breaks and a forward slash (/) between lines of your address.
7. Direct email submissions only. No attachments.
8. Your feedback is also your acknowledgement for your entry.
9. If you prefer NOT to receive feedback, please say so with your entry. It is not compulsory.
"This is the only contest I know of that gives free feedback. A mini critique from an old hand. Wow!"
"Your feedback means a great deal, and it's lovely to hear that you recognise [the characters]." ~ Anne H.
FIRST PRIZE – The painting of your choice and publication on the
Modern Art by Post Website
PRIZES of paintings (no cash alternative) will be awarded to the best story received
within the month OR
Best of Twenty
Winners will be informed within Two Weeks of the relevant judgement day
Please note the following:
a) The competition is open to over 18s, all professions, UK, Canada or USA.
b) Entries MUST be written in English. No digital translations please.
c) Entries may be carried forward to the next contest at the organisers' discretion.
d) Entries can be submitted any time and feedback is given usually within a week.
e) Entries must be original and unpublished. Please send only one entry per month.
f) Contestants will NOT be added to any mailing list. Please check back here for winner(s) and keep in touch through social media (FB, Twitter or Instagram).
g) Modern Art By Post cannot accept responsibility for entries which are not received or suffer technical failure or for any other reason.
h) After 3 months of publication on www.modernartbypost.com the winner(s) will be free to use their story elsewhere.
i) See our FAQ page regarding poetry and any other queries.
See the Winning Fiction page for examples of great writing!
Feel free to send your entry as soon as it's ready: don't leave it to the last minute!
Thank you. We look forward to reading your entries!